Fall Potato Soup
- Yield 4 servings
"I don't know anyone else who makes potato soup like this. It is a favorite at our house -- pretty and so good!"
- 10 to 12 small new red potatoes, or 4-5 medium-size
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Steam potatoes until very tender.
- Peel and cut into bite-sized pieces when cool.
- Saute carrot, onion and celery in the margarine until crisp tender.
- Stir in flour and bacon grease. Pour in chicken broth and milk and stir until smooth. Add potatoes and stir until mixture is lump-free.
- Heat until ready to boil, but not boiling. Serve topped with grated cheddar cheese and chopped green onions.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: For a decadent treat, top with crumbled bacon. Omit the bacon and bacon grease for a lower fat version.
– Gwen Cox, Canyon, Texas