Fall Harvest Fruit Butter
- Yield 6 to 8 cups
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 600 mins
Serve up a bit of fall all winter long by freezing some of this recipe. It's perfect on toast, English muffins, or bagels. The spices scent your house while it's cooking, which is a bonus.
- 6 whole pears; peeled, cored, chopped
- 4 whole apples; peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
- 2 whole lemons, juiced (discard peels)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Oil the crock of your slow cooker. Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Prop the lid open by placing the thin edge of a wooden spoon handle lengthwise across the crock. This will allow the liquid to evaporate. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until most of the liquid has evaporated. If you need to evaporate more liquid, switch the slow cooker to high, leave the lid propped up, and cook for 1 to 2 hours longer.
- Puree the mixture in batches using an immersion blender or counter-top blender. Let cool completely.
- Transfer to freezer bags or special freezer containers for preserves. Store in freezer for 3 to 4 months.
Reprinted with permission from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester (c) 2011 Fair Winds Press