Fall Harvest Fruit Butter
- Yield: 6 to 8 cups
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 600 mins
- 6whole pears; peeled, cored, chopped
- 4whole apples; peeled, cored, chopped
- 2cups pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
- 2whole lemons, juiced (discard peels)
- 1/2cup brown sugar, packed
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon allspice
- 1/2teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
- Oil the crock of your slow cooker. Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Prop the lid open by placing the thin edge of a wooden spoon handle lengthwise across the crock. This will allow the liquid to evaporate. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until most of the liquid has evaporated. If you need to evaporate more liquid, switch the slow cooker to high, leave the lid propped up, and cook for 1 to 2 hours longer.
- Puree the mixture in batches using an immersion blender or counter-top blender. Let cool completely.
- Transfer to freezer bags or special freezer containers for preserves. Store in freezer for 3 to 4 months.
Reprinted with permission from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester (c) 2011 Fair Winds Press