- Yield 12 servings
Why order pizza on Halloween when you can whip up something spooky and satisfying?
- 1/2 cup drained canned cannellini beans or other white beans
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 8 -- pitted colossal green olives, cut in 3 round slices
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce with Italian herbs
- 1 or 2 small black olives, cut in 1/4-inch dice, you will need 24 pieces
- 12 small club rolls (about 5-inches long), split
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400F.
Mash the beans with a fork, potato masher or food processor until completely smooth. Mix with egg, ketchup, apple butter and soy sauce. Mix the ground turkey using your hands until ingredients are evenly distributed. Wet your hands with cold water, form 24 (1/2-inch) meatballs, and put them on 2 sheet pans leaving plenty of space in between.
Push a green olive ring deeply into the center of each meatball, with the circular side facing up. Mold the meat around the olive into a football shape so that each meatball looks like an eye. Bake for 10 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
While the eyeballs are cooking heat the tomato sauce in a saucepan until simmering, and keep warm.
Remove eyeballs from the oven. Dab away any juice from the top with a paper towel and insert a piece of black olive into the hole in the center of each green olive, giving each eye a dark pupil.
- To serve: Spoon 1/4 cup sauce in each roll, top with 2 tablespoons cheese and insert 2 eyeballs side-by-side staring out from each roll