Exotic Shrimp Soup
- Yield 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups peeled, chopped sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 pound medium peeled shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cocnut extract
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt and pepper
- Coat large nonstick pot with nonstick cooking spray. Sauté tomatoes, onion, garlic until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add broth, sweet potatoes, zucchini, bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp, oregano, chili powder, coconut extract, pineapple juice.
- Cook over low heat until sweet potatoes are tender and shrimp are almost done. Add corn, continue to cook 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Makes 8 cups.
Note: Chili powder may be substituted for chipotle chili powder. The chipotle adds a smoky flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.