Excellent Eggplant Pasta
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
A filling vegetarian pasta dish, using the best of the summer vegetables.
- 1 (12-ounce) package vermicelli
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small (1-pound) eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into small strips
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook vermicelli according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain, set aside, and keep warm.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet heat olive oil. Add eggplant and garlic, cover, and cook about 5 mintues, or until eggplant is just tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper strips, mushrooms, basil and crushed red pepper flakes; cook until tender, about 6 mintues. Stir in chopped tomato and cook until mixture is heated through. Toss with cooked pasta and Parmesan cheese.