Espresso Chocolate Squares
- Yield 2
Chocolate, cream cheese and coffee star in this delectable dessert.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 2 (8-ounces) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil; butter bottom of foil.
- Whisk together 1 1/4 cups flour, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa together in medium bowl; add 3/4 cup butter. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until butter is the size of small peas. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips; press into bottom of pan. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, stir 1/4 cup cream and 1 tablespoon instant espresso together until coffee is dissolved. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter together. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and allspice; beat until blended. Slowly beat in cream and coffee mixture. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Pour batter over crust.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are slightly puffed and center is set; set pan on a cooling rack.
- Glaze: Melt 6 tablespoons chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon cream, 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Drizzle over bars and refrigerate until set. Cover and store bars in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board