Enlightened Potato Latkes
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
These yummy latkes will be a star of your Hanukkah meal.
- 5 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 4 -- eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup matzo meal
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil, for sauteing
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grate potatoes and onion into a medium-sized mixing bowl, or use a food processor fitted with the shredding blade. Add 2 eggs and mix well. Add flour, mix to combine and allow mixture to sit in a colander at room temperature in sink 10 minutes to drain.
- Press as much liquid as you can out of potato mixture using a spoon or your hands. Place potato mixture back into a dry bowl and add remaining 2 eggs, matzo meal, parsley, salt and pepper. Mixture should look like a batter without being too loose. It should hold up on a large spoon. If it appears too loose, add a bit more matzo meal.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. Using a tablespoon or large kitchen serving spoon, place spoonfuls of potato pancake mixture into hot oil. Press gently with back of spoon to flatten. Saute 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown. Turn and cook another 5 minutes until golden brown; transfer to a baking pan. Repeat, adding more oil as needed, until all potato mixture is browned. When all pancakes are in baking pan, place in center of oven 10 minutes to get really crispy.