- Yield 4 servings
Top these green enchiladas with an egg for a real New Mexican touch.
- 12 -- blue corn tortillas (if not available, regular corn tortillas may be used)
- 4 tablespoons oil or lard
- 1 -- garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups green chile sauce (See Index)
- -- Salt to taste
- 2 cups grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- Fry tortillas in deep fat to soften. Heat garlic in oil then discard garlic. Blend flour into oil. Stir in green chile sauce and heat thoroughly. If mixture is too thick, add water. Add salt to taste. Layer tortillas with sauce, minced onion and cheese on ovenproof plates. Sprinkle cheese on top. Use 3 tortillas for each serving. Place in oven to allow cheese to melt.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Albuquerque’s Simply Simpatico (The Junior League of Albuquerque, NM, 1981).