Enchilada Turkey Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- Turkey stock:
- 2cups cold water
- 10 to 16ounces turkey parts (wings, legs or thighs)
- 1small carrot, peeled and cut in 3 chunks
- 1small sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/2-- stalk celery, cut in big chunks
- Soup mixture:
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 1/2teaspoons minced garlic
- 2teaspoons diced jalapenos
- 3ounces corn tortillas, chopped in 1/2-inch lengths
- 4ounces tomato puree
- 4ounces Cheddar cheese sauce
- 1teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- -- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3ounce old-fashioned biscuit gravy mix
- -- Salt
- -- Freshly ground pepper
- To prepare stock, bring cold water to a boil add turkey parts and all of the vegetables.
- When the turkey is cooked through, remove it from the stock.
- Chill and debone turkey. Cover and chill turkey meat.
- Return bones to stock. Continue to simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Strain bones from the stock and reserve all of the stock. Separate and reserve 2/3 cups stock to be used later.
- To prepare soup, melt butter over medium heat in a stock pot.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic, jalapenos and corn tortillas, cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add 1 1/3 cups strained turkey stock, tomato puree, cheese sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, chili powder, cumin and dried oregano.
- In a small sauce pan, bring 1/2 cup of the reserved stock to a boil.
- Add biscuit gravy mix to the remaining 2 tablespoons reserved stock while it is at room temperature and whisk together. Add the slurry to the boiling stock. Whisk while it is simmering until it has thickened. Add thickened slurry to the soup.
- Return cooked turkey to the soup and reheat thoroughly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by Chef Dorian Mills, The Guenther House, San Antonio, Texas.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 350
- Fat 23g
- Cholesterol 80mg
- Sodium 960mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Protein 14g