Eight Jewel Fried Rice
- Yield 6 servings
This vegetarian Eight Jewel Fried Rice is loaded with delicious vegetables, aromatic rice and colorful tofu.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown or brown Basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 6 scallions, minced
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes, optional
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the rice, return to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender and water absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli florets and saute over medium heat. Add gingerroot, garlic and remaining vegetables; continue to saute 2 minutes or until they begin to soften. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Crumble tofu into a bowl. Add the turmeric and mix well; the tofu will turn yellow and resemble scrambled eggs. Add the tofu to the sauteed vegetables and return to medium heat. Add the soy sauce and cooked rice; mix well. Saute for another minute until heated through. Add chili flakes, if desired for a spicier flavor.