Eggplant Rolls with Ricotta Pesto
- Yield 4 servings
Enjoy this tasty ricotta pesto rolled up in thin slices of eggplant and then topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Ricotta Pesto:
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat or nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves (1 bunch)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley (1 bunch)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Eggplant Rolls:
- 1 eggplant cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, optional
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce or your favortie tomato sauce
- 1 cup Ricotta pesto (recipe given)
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- To make the pesto: In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine the ricotta, basil, parsley, spinach, pine nuts, garlic and pepper. Puree until it forms a smooth paste. Makes about 1 cup.
- To make the eggplant rolls: If desired, sprinkle eggplant slices lightly with salt and let slices sit about 30 minutes. You may place a heavy plate on top to draw out more liquid if you wish. Rinse the eggplant well with cold water before proceeding with the recipe.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet and broil 2 inches from heat source for 3 to 5 minutes or until eggplant is soft. Spread about 1/2 cup tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Place a tablespoon of Ricotta Pesto in the center of each long eggplant slice and fold each slice end to end over the pesto, forming a small package.
- Arrange the eggplant rolls in the baking dish, slightly overlapping one another. Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake at 375F about 45 minutes or until eggplant is tender and packages are heated through.