Eggplant Rolls with Feta and Spicy Cinnamon Marinara
- Yield 4 servings
Using jarred marinara sauce, the eggplant roll-ups are a great meatless meal.
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed, unpeeled, sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- -- Kosher salt
- 1 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -- (28-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 -- cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- -- Grated Greek kasseri or Romano cheese, for serving
- Preheat broiler to high. Arrange larger eggplant slices on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or foil. Save smaller slices for another purpose.
- Spray eggplant slices with cooking spray or brush with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano and salt. Broil 7 to 10 minutes until softened. Remove and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix feta and ricotta cheeses, mint and garlic. Set aside.
- In a nonreactive saucepan, simmer marinara sauce with cinnamon sticks and chili flakes 15 minutes, then turn off heat and let sit to allow flavors to combine. Arrange eggplant slices in front of you. Place about 2 tablespoons cheese mixture on each slice of eggplant toward the bottom end. Roll slice up jellyroll style, forming a package, and place on a plate; repeat with remaining slices and cheese mixture.
- Place a few spoonfuls of sauce in a nonreactive 8 1/2 x 11-inch baking dish. Arrange eggplant rolls seam side down next to one another in dish and pour tomato sauce over all. Cover and bake 40 minutes until heated through, and serve. If desired, serve some grated Greek kasseri cheese or Romano cheese sprinkled over the top.