Eggplant Pepper Pasta
- Yield 4 servings
Cooking cheese tortellini in vegetable broth and spices infuses a depth of flavor to this dish, starring sautéed eggplant and bell peppers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the eggplant, bell peppers, tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for 6 to 8 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and tortellini. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through and most of the broth is absorbed.
- Fold in the parsley and 1/4 cup of the parmesan. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan on top.