Pasta with Eggplant Sauce
- Yield: 4 servings
In the regions of southern Italy, there are various kinds of eggplant (aubergine) that reach, once mature, the markets in the north of the country. Parmigiana, Pasta alla Norma, fried or stuffed eggplant, there are many delicious ways to cook them. This recipe is really quite simple. Its uniqueness derives from the quality of the ingredients.
- 2 purple eggplants (aubergines) (or 1 large)
- 1tablespoon toasted hazelnuts
- 1tablespoon capers
- 1sprig of parsley
- 6tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and white pepper, to taste
- 11 1/4ounces pasta
- Wash and slice the eggplant and steam for 15–20 minutes.
- Purée the eggplant with hazelnuts, capers and parsley. Season the sauce with olive oil, a pinch of salt and white pepper.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, in boiling salted water and then stir through the eggplant sauce (to which you can add 2–3 tablespoons of cooking water if it needs thinning out).
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen © 2016 by Veronica Lavenia, New Holland Publishers