Eggplant Parmesan Lightened-Up
- Yield 8 servings
A lightened-up version of a classic Italian dish.
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can no-salt-added peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with their juice
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 -- (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 -- eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned bredcrumbs
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler. In a large saucepan, make sauce by combining tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, tomato paste, white wine, garlic, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cook 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak eggplant slices in water to cover 30 minutes. Pat dry.
- In a bowl, mix egg whites and 1/4 cup water together with a fork. Dip eggplant slices in egg white mixture and roll in breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and broil 5 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Watch closely. Remove and set aside.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350F.
- In a 2-quart oblong baking dish, layer half the sauce, half the eggplant and half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Bake 30 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.