Eggplant Parmesan with Marinara Sauce
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2large eggplants, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick lengthwise
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3cups unseasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoons Italian herbs
- 2teaspoons salt
- 2 (28-ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 16ounces (4-cups) shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese mixture
- 1large bunch fresh basil, stems removed
- 1/2cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place flour and eggplant slices in a large plastic bag and shake to coat eggplant. Remove dusted eggplant slices, shaking off any excess flour, and place in a large bowl with beaten eggs. Make sure eggplant slices are coated well with eggs and allow to sit 1 minute.
- Place crumbs, Italian herbs and salt in large baking pan with sides. Remove eggplant slices from eggs and gently press slices into crumb mixture. Turn eggplant slices and repeat this process to coat other side of slices.
- Spray a large baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Place eggplant slices in a single layer in the pan and spray surface of breaded slices with no-stick cooking spray. Bake in center of oven 20 minutes until slightly softened. Cool 15 minutes before assembling dish.
- Place a layer of sauce on the bottom of a 31/2-quart nonreactive baking dish. Build alternating layers of eggplant slices, cheese, basil leaves and sauce in pan until all ingredients are used. Save parmesan for top layer. Sprinkle parmesan over top and bake, covered, 40 minutes until heated through. Remove cover and continue to bake 10 minutes longer. Serve.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 399
- Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 105mg
- Sodium 1033mg
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 13g
- Protein 25g