- Yield 6 servings
Roasted red peppers, mozzarella and basil are layered on top of grilled eggplant slices.
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick from top to bottom into steaks
- Tuscan Marinade
- 1 (16-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained well and cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- 1 (1-pound) ball fresh mozzarella, sliced in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- Place the eggplant in a nonreactive container and add the marinade. Toss and turn to coat. Set aside 10 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Remove eggplant from marinade and grill the eggplant slices for 3 to 4 minutes perside, approximately 4 inches from the gas burners or coal until golden brown and tender. Reserve the marinade. Place grilled eggplant steaks on a large serving platter.
- Lay a few pepper strips over each of the eggplant slices. Top each eggplant slice with a slice of mozzarella cheese, a few basil leaves and some capers. Drizzle with any remaining marinade and serve at room temperature.