- Yield: servings
"When my husband planted eggplants for the first time several years ago, we had no idea how prolific they could be. We shared with neighbors but still had an abundance of the pretty purple vegetables. This eggplant recipe is the one my family likes the best."
- 1pound eggplant, peeled and diced
- 3medium onions, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1/4teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1cup sour cream
- 1cup grated cheese (your choice)
- 1cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Combine eggplant and onion in a medium saucepan. Add water to a depth of 1/2-inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until eggplant is tender. Drain.
- Combine egg and eggplant mixture in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper and butter and mix well.
- Mix sour cream and cheese in a small bowl.
- Spoon half the eggplant mixture into the dish. Add half the cheese mixture on top. Repeat layers. Top with cracker crumbs. Bake 45 minutes.
– La Juan Thompson, Washington, Ark.