Eggplant Casserole with Velveeta
- Yield 6-8 servings
Tomatoes and green chiles add a little spice to this simple casserole
"This recipe was a favorite at my church socials - the teens loved it. And my family loves it, too."
- 2 medium-size eggplant
- 2 cups eggs, well-beaten
- 1 fluid ounce flour, for dredging
- 1 to 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound Velveeta or similar product
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 dash cumin
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wash and peel eggplant. Cut into 1/4-inch slices. Dip into egg, then into flour.
- Brown on both sides in oil in a skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- Melt Velveeta. Add tomatoes and cumin. Mix until creamy.
- In a 9-by-11-inch dish, layer eggplant and Velveeta mixture until all is used. Should make three layers.
- Bake about 15 minutes. Cooked sliced or shredded chicken may be added for a complete meal.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes.
—Recipe by Pat Simmons, Batesville, Ark.