- Yield 12-16 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
This all-purpose dish, with its bright, bold flavors, is great as an appetizer or as a relish for grilled chicken. Or try it on Sicilian Tilapia.
Varying forms of this dish occur around the Mediterranean—in some versions, octopus is added, in others hot peppers.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large eggplants (about 1 pound each), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet; sauté eggplant and onion until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, olives, wine, walnuts, raisins, tomato paste, vinegar, capers, salt and pepper. Stir and cook, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, over medium-low heat. Stir in parsley and serve with matzo crackers.
Recipe by Chef Michelle Bernstein