Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna
- Yield 6 servings
If you don't tell your family this rich lasagna is meatless, they probably won't think to ask.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups peeled diced eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (16-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 (12-ounce) carton nonfat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion and garlic over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Stir in eggplant, green pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes with juice, oregano, basil and pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Set the vegetable mixture aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain noodles and cut in half crosswise; set aside. Combine egg whites, cottage cheese and parsley; set aside.
- Coat a 9-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place half the lasagna noodle halves on the bottom. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture over noodles. Spread half the vegetable mixture over cottage cheese mixture and sprinkle half the mozzarella over vegetable mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly.