Eggplant and Ziti
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
This simple low-fat eggplant dish with a red sauce is full of big Italian flavors.
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomatoes, crushed, with their juices
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (12-ounce) package ziti pasta
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2-inch round slices. Sprinkle slices with a bit of salt and let dry in a colander 30 minutes. Rinse slices and pat dry.
- In a large saucepan coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion, mushrooms and garlic until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Cut eggplant slices into quarters and add to pan. Stir in tomatoes, oregano and basil. Cook, covered, over low heat until eggplant is soft and tomato mixture is combined thoroughly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain. Mix pasta into eggplant mixture and serve.