Eggnog Pots de Crème
- Yield: servings
- 1cup Real California Whole Milk
- 1cup heavy cream
- 6tablespoons sugar
- 1tablespoon vanilla
- 3 grams egg yolks
- 1 gram egg
- 1tablespoon to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1teaspoon each; dark rum and brandy, optional
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Over medium heat in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring Real California Milk, cream and sugar just to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, with fork, mix together yolks and egg just to break them up without incorporating a lot of air. Slowly add milk mixture, stirring with wooden spoon. Strain mixture through sieve into a pitcher; stir in nutmeg, cloves, and, if desired, rum and brandy. Let mixture rest, without stirring, for 1 minute. Skim off any bubbles or foam remaining on surface.
- Pour scant 1/2 cup of mixture into 6 (4-ounce) pots de crème cups or 3-inch ramekins.
- Set custards in a baking dish; fill dish with very hot tap water to come about two-thirds up sides of cups. If using pot de créme cups, cover with lids; otherwise, cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until custards are set. Remove from oven and water-bath to cooling rack.
- Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Serve lightly chilled.