Eggnog Creme Brulee
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4cups heavy cream
- 2/3cup sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/4cup bourbon or brandy
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8teaspoon (heaping) salt
- 1/3cup packed brown sugar
- Place an 8×11-inch (8 cup) shallow ceramic baking dish in a roasting pan.
- Bring the heavy cream and sugar to a simmer in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl until blended. Whisk a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the hot cream mixture.
- Whisk the bourbon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt into the custard until blended. Pour the custard into the baking dish. Add enough hot water to the roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the center jiggles slightly when gently shaken. Remove the baking dish from the roasting pan. Chill on a wire rack in the refrigerator for 3 hours or longer.
- Press the brown sugar through a sieve over the custard until completely covered. Broil 4 to 6 inches from the heat source for 2 minutes or until the sugar caramelizes.
- Chill for 1 to 3 hours or until the topping hardens. Serve cold.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)