Egg Rolls and Dipping Sauce
- Yield 20 pieces
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 10 mins
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Egg Rolls:
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 -- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 -- green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 -- carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 small red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1 to 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 10 -- cooked shrimp, chopped
- 20 -- (2-inch square) wonton wrappers (covered loosely with a damp paper towel to prevent drying)
- Whisk together all dipping sauce ingredients.
- To prepare the egg rolls, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add green onions, carrot and red pepper and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Combine vegetable broth, soy sauce and sugar in a medium bowl. Add to skillet; stir in napa cabbage. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add sesame oil. Cool mixture for at least 15 minutes. Stir in shrimp.
- Place one wonton wrapper so the corner points toward you. Place 1 tablespoon filling in center. Roll the corner closest to you over the filling. Brush the top corner with water. Fold in the sides of the wonton and continue rolling the egg roll up until it is closed. Press to seal, set aside, and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat; add egg rolls and sauté until golden brown on all sides, using tongs to turn them. Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Kitchen Kapers.