Egg and Green Chili Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
This is a "not eggy" dish that works well on a buffet as it easily cuts into serving portions.
To lower fat and cholesterol, 1 1/4 cups egg substitue can be used instead of the large eggs.
- 2 -- (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 8 -- (6-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 5 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- -- Salsa (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer half the chiles in the dish. Top with half the tortilla strips and then half the cheese. Repeat another layer using the remaining chiles, tortillas and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, egg whites, milk, pepper, cumin and garlic powder and pour evenly over the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes or until puffy and set in the center. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa, if desired.