Eat-With-Your-Fingers Vegetable Rainbow
- Yield: 4 servings
Slice the carrots into discs or "coins." Slice the celery into sticks or on the diagonal to form U-shaped slices. Broccoli and cauliflower florets naturally have small handles; zucchini and yellow squash may be cut into rounds or cut in half lengthwise, their seeds scooped out and the flesh sliced crosswise into half-moon shapes. Little button mushrooms and snow peas round out the mix.
- 2teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 1cup broccoli florets
- 1 ear corn-on-the cob, cut into 1-inch-thick slices, optional
- 2teaspoons water
- 1/2cup sliced carrots
- 2 ribs celery, sliced in 2-inch sticks or on bias into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 15 trimmed snowpeas
- 1small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1medium yellow squash, sliced
- 10whole small mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 2teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1teaspoon honey
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add broccoli florets and corn, if using; lightly sprinkle with water; saute 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and saute 2 minutes. Add the garlic, gingerroot, soy sauce and honey; saute 1 minute or until vegetables are tender but still al dente. Squeeze lemon over vegetables and serve.
- Tofu/Tempeh Variation: You can add 1 pound diced firm tofu or tempeh to this dish. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil and the tofu or tempeh; brown well. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Proceed with the recipe folding in the tofu or tempeh during the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 64
- Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 112mg
- Carbohydrate 9g
- Protein 3g