Eat-With-Your-Fingers Vegetable Rainbow
- Yield 4 servings
You can serve this vegetable mixture over brown rice, couscous or angel hair pasta.
Slice the carrots into discs or "coins." Slice the celery into sticks or on the diagonal to form U-shaped slices. Broccoli and cauliflower florets naturally have small handles; zucchini and yellow squash may be cut into rounds or cut in half lengthwise, their seeds scooped out and the flesh sliced crosswise into half-moon shapes. Little button mushrooms and snow peas round out the mix.
- 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 -- ear corn-on-the cob, cut into 1-inch-thick slices, optional
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 -- ribs celery, sliced in 2-inch sticks or on bias into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 15 -- trimmed snowpeas
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 10 whole small mushrooms
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- -- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium heat. Add broccoli florets and corn, if using; lightly sprinkle with water; saute 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and saute 2 minutes. Add the garlic, gingerroot, soy sauce and honey; saute 1 minute or until vegetables are tender but still al dente. Squeeze lemon over vegetables and serve.
- Tofu/Tempeh Variation: You can add 1 pound diced firm tofu or tempeh to this dish. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil and the tofu or tempeh; brown well. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Proceed with the recipe folding in the tofu or tempeh during the last 2 minutes of cooking time.