Easy Swiss Steak
- Yield 6 servings
Round steak simmered slowly with onions and tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pounds round steak
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, chopped, with their juices
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) package baby carrots
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Trim any fat from round steak and season with salt and pepper. Add meat to skillet and brown on both sides, about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and carrots. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook, covered, until meat is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.