- Yield: 1-2 dozen
- 8ounces cream cheese (one package, cold)
- 1/3cup sour cream
- 1cup butter (cold)
- 1dash salt
- 2cups flour
- 1cup jelly or jam, flavor of your choosing
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 1cup walnuts, crushed
- To make the dough, combine cream cheese, sour cream, butter, salt and flour in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture becomes crumbly. Make sure that the ingredients are cold or else the dough will be very sticky and need to chill longer. Form the dough into 4 equal sized balls, wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In the mean time, mix the jelly in the food processor to remove any lumps and give it a smooth consistency. Crush the walnuts by placing a handful in a plastic bag and crushing with a meat hammer or heavy pan. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a bowl. Set these aside.
- When the dough is firm enough to roll out, take one ball at a time to a floured surface and roll into a 9-inch round. Spread with 1 tbs of jelly or jam. Next, sprinkle with crushed walnuts and sugar/cinnamon mixture. From one end, roll the dough into a log and place on a dish in the freezer for 30 minutes. Repeat this process with the remaining 3 dough balls.
- Once the logs of dough have set in the freezer for 30 minutes, place them in a 350 degree oven for about 22 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove the logs, let cool on a wire rack, then slice to desired thickness to produce individual rugelach cookies.