Easy Red Velvet Cake
- Yield 16 servings
Perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or any special occasion, this classic Southern cake never goes out of style.
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray three round cake pans with nonstick spray.
- Combine cake mix, cocoa, oil, egg, egg whites and food coloring. In a separate bowl combine milk and vinegar. Combine ingredients and thoroughly mix.
- Pour batter into pans and bake 15-20 minutes. Cakes should be firm. Let cool before removing from cake pans.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, then add confectioners’ sugar, beat until light. Add vanilla. Alternate layers of icing, then place cake on top, repeating for all layers. Frost sides and top of cake tower.