Easy Red Velvet Cake
- Yield 16 servings
Perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or any special occasion, this classic Southern cake never goes out of style.
- 1 -- (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 -- egg
- 3 -- egg whites
- 1 -- 1-ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 -- (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -- (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare cake: In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, cocoa, oil, egg, egg whites and food coloring. In small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Add to cake mix mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool layers on a rack.
- To prepare icing: In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar, beat until light. Add vanilla. Spread on top of one cake layer. Top with second layer. Spread icing on top. Top with third layer. Spread remaining icing on top and sides of cake.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.