Easy Payday Bars
- Yield: servings
"I first tried these yummy snack bars when a friend made them for a church ladies gathering. It was my most favorite dish there, and it quickly became a favorite for my family. I made these to sell at a fundraiser for my young grandson, who has leukemia, and folks were coming back on the second day, wanting to know if there were more Payday Bars. I have the ingredients for this always on hand, and the recipe is so easy and simple, I have it memorized."
- 1cup white sugar
- 1cup light Karo syrup
- 1cup (smooth or crunchy) peanut butter
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1cup nuts, optional
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar and Karo – boil 1 minute.
- Mix in peanut butter and vanilla and stir until blended.
- Pour over rice chex in large bowl and mix well.
- Press into a 9″ X 13″ Pam-sprayed dish.
- Cool & serve.
The longer you boil the sugar and Karo, the stiffer the mixture is. I make sure it’s boiling all over, but don’t boil hard for 1 minute because I like the gooier finished product.
—Marsha Baker, Pioneer, Ohio