- Yield 8 servings
The creamy filling for this recipe contains the all-time best manicotti ingredients--spinach, meat and cream cheese.
- 16 manicotti shells
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, chopped with their juices
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Rinse, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook meat, onion and garlic until meat is done and vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Mix in ricotta, cream cheese and spinach.
- Stuff shells with meat mixture and arrange in a baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes, oregano, pepper, salt and basil. Pour over shells. Cover and bake 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer, or until bubbly and well heated.