Simple Skillet Green Bean Casserole
- 1pound green beans
- 1tablespoon corn starch
- 2tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1pound cremini or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1medium onion, diced
- 1tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2cup milk
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4cup French's Original French Fried Onions
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch green beans until bright green in color and tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain well and cool in a bowl of ice water. Drain well and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water; set aside.
4. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, onion, thyme and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in milk, heavy cream and Worcestershire.
5. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and stir in cornstarch mixture until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in green beans. Add green bean mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with fried onions. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.