- Yield: servings
- 4cups (32 ounces) warm water
- 2tablespoons (7/8 ounce) granulated sugar
- 2packets or scant tablespoons active dry yeast
- 10cups (2 pounds, 10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, plus extra for flouring work surface
- 2tablespoons salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until dry ingredients are incorporated. Cover with a damp towel and set aside 2 hours.
- If you’re making the dough to use later, remove the damp towel, lightly flour the surface of the dough and push it down with your hands, deflating the mix back to near its original volume. Seal container with a lid and store in your refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- When you’re ready to use the dough, preheat oven to 450F or heat grill.
- Lightly flour your hands, work surface and rolling pin. Pinch a 2- to 3-inch ball of dough from the mix for each of the flatbreads you’re making. Replace the lid and return the rest to the fridge. Place 1 dough ball on the work surface and pat into a flat disk. Use a rolling pin to roll to desired thickness and set aside on floured parchment or wax paper. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Use a pizza peel or flat cookie sheet to transfer the rounds to the bottom rack of the oven, preheated pizza stone or direct-heat portion of the grill. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, depending on dough thickness, until the dough is cooked through and bubbly. If cooking on the grill, flip dough halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove flatbread from oven or grill or oven and enjoy. To store, let bread cool and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.