- Yield 4 servings
"I have never taken this slaw anywhere that someone didn't want the recipe. The crowning glory was when the VFW asked me to make it for their ham and bean supper. My husband cut the cabbage and I made the dressing for 200 servings. People bought the slaw that was left over!"
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups ice water
- Combine sugar, white vinegar and mustard in a medium saucepan. Add water and cook, whisking, over medium-high heat until sugar and mustard dissolve. Remove from the heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Combine cabbage, celery, bell peppers, salt and ice water in a large bowl; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Drain cabbage mixture, squeezing out excess liquid. Return to bowl and add dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. The slaw will keep in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 weeks in an airtight container. Serves 4.
Recipe by Waneta Stephens, Mount Pulaski, Ill.