Pineapple Chicken Burritos
- Yield servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 package burrito sized tortillas
- Chicken marinade ingredients
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic minced or grated with microplane grater
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice (canned, not fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- -- punch (bigger than pinch) of Salt and
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro lime rice ingredients
- -- 1cup Jasmine rice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 -- juicy ripe lime
- 1 -- Knorr beef bouillon cube
- 1 -- Knorr chipotle bouillon cube
- 1 -- Knorr garlic bouillon cube
- Guacamole ingredients
- 2 -- Ripe avocados
- 1 -- Jalapeno pepper (finely diced, seeds and veins removed)
- 1 large garlic clove or 2 small cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 small Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (diced)
- Cheesy beans ingredients
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Put chicken thighs and marinade in your crock pot and turn on high. Let chicken cook until it pulls apart easily with a fork. About 2hrs.
While the chicken thighs cooks, prepare the cilantro lime rice.
Cook 1 cup of Jasmine rice. Instead of using water, use 1 1/2 cups of beef broth with 1 Knorr beef bouillon cube, 1 Knorr garlic bouillon cube, and 1 Knorr chipotle bouillon cube. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in the beef broth before adding to the rice to cook.
While rice is cooking, chop cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
Once rice is done, combine rice, chopped cilantro and the juice of one lime and warm together in a frying pan. Keep heat low. This step is to marry the flavors together, not to re-cook the rice.
While the rice, cilantro, and lime juice are warming together, prepare the cheesy beans.
Combine one can of refried beans with 1/2 package of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Heat under med/low heat until cheese has completely melted and refried beans appear smooth.
Prepare your guacamole last to prevent browning of avocados due to oxidation. Combine avocados, diced and seeded jalapenos, minced garlic, cilantro, diced tomatoes, and diced onions. Mash with a fork until consistency is chunky but uniform.
By this time your chicken should be ready. The chicken should pull apart easily with two forks. As you pull apart the chicken, heat a non-stick frying pan and warm the tortillas.
Assembling the burrito:
Place tortilla on flat surface.
Spread cheesy beans onto the tortilla
Then spread guacamole on top of that
Layer in the cilantro lime rice
Add a healthy portion of the shredded chicken
Roll up the burrito and enjoy!
** The great thing about this recipe is that most of it can be made in advance. The shredded chicken, cilantro lime rice, and cheesy beans can be made the day before. Put your guacamole together before serving, as the rest of the ingredients are re-heating, and you're good to go!