Chicken and Chickpea Tagine
- Yield 4 servings
A spice, lemony, fragrant chicken stew comes together in one pan and is served over couscous.
- 16 ounces fully cooked grilled chicken breast strips, chopped
- 1 -- onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped (from a jar)
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 8 ounces dried, chopped apricots
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper blend
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice
- 1 box whole wheat couscous
- -- Lemon slices and lavender sprigs or flowers, if available
- Mix all ingredients together in a large saucepan, and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until stew is hot and thick.
- Prepare couscous according to directions on box while stew is cooking. Serve tagine stew over couscous.