Mark Boughton Photography / styling by Teresa Blackburn
- 1 (2-pound) rotisseries chicken
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1 (7-ounce) package Spanish-style rice and vermicelli pasta mix (such as Rice-A-Roni)
- 1 handful chopped spinach or arugula
- Remove meat from chicken and shred. Place chicken bones, skin and juices in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Add onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 to 4 hours. Strain. (You should have 6 cups broth; add water to equal 6 cups, if necessary.) Return broth to pot. Add shredded chicken.
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Add rice and pasta mix along with seasoning packet; sauté 2 minutes. Add to chicken mixture. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add 2 cups water if soup is too thick. Add a handful of spinach or arugula just before serving. Makes about 10 cups; serves 8.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 244
- Fat 13g
- Cholesterol 70mg
- Sodium 821mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 16g