Easy Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10
- Cook 30 mins
A classic Russian dish gets a modern American twist, subbing lower-cal chicken for beef.
- 4 -- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons prepared coarse-grain mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups cooked egg noodles
- In large non-stick frypan, melt butter over high heat. Place flour in pie pan; add chicken and turn to coat well. Place chicken in frypan and cook, turning about 5 minutes to brown well on both sides. Stir in onions, mushrooms and any unused flour. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together chicken broth and mustard. Pour mixture into frypan and stir. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and parsley and simmer for 2 additional minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Serve over egg noodles.
- To freeze, transfer Chicken Stroganoff to a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid. Let cool, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold, about 30 minutes. Cover tightly and freeze until needed.
- To thaw, transfer from freezer to refrigerator 12 – 24 hours before needed. Reheat in large, covered frypan over medium-low heat. Bring to simmer and cook about 5 minutes.