Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Yield servings
Five ingredients and two steps is all it takes to make these simple and comfortingly delicious Bisquick based chicken and dumplings.
Don’t rush the chicken stock–the longer it simmers, the more flavorful it will be. Although it’s not necessary, I usually add onion, carrot, parsley and black peppercorns to the stock for more flavor. —Jill Melton
- 3 pounds chicken (fryer) or chicken quarters
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups Bisquick biscuit mix
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 ounces Pamiggiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place chicken in Dutch oven or large pot, (add chopped onion and peppercorns if desired) and simmer 2-3 hours or until chicken is cooked and broth is rich and reduced some. Remove chicken, let cool. Remove chicken meat, shred, discard bones and skin. Add chicken and carrots to broth. Simmer.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups Bisquick, 3/4 cup milk, 2 ounces grated Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese and garlic powder. Mix. Drop dumplings into simmering broth. Cook 10 minutes. Cover and cook another 10 – 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serves 4-6.
—Recipe By Jill Melton