Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Yield: 8 servings
Don’t rush the chicken stock–the longer it simmers, the more flavorful it will be.
- 1 (3-pound) chicken(fryer) or chicken quarters
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Black peppercorns and fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 1/4cups Bisquick biscuit mix
- 3/4cup milk
- 2ounces Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- Place chicken and onion in Dutch oven or large pot; cover with water. Add peppercorns and parsley, if using. Simmer until chicken is cooked and broth is rich and reduced, 2 to 4 hours. Remove chicken, and strain stock. Let cool. Remove chicken from bones, shred, and discard bones and skin. Add chicken and carrots to broth. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Combine Bisquick, milk, cheese and garlic powder. Mix well with a fork. Drop forkfuls of dough into simmering broth, filling in the spaces between dumplings as you work. (Dumplings will float.) Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover and cook another 10 to 15 minutes, until dumplings are thoroughly cooked.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 340
- Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 100mg
- Sodium 550mg
- Carbohydrate 22g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 34g