Easy Carrot Cake
- Yield: servings
One recipe serves 16 people; for a larger gathering, make two sheets and place them side by side.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 2teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4cup confectioners' sugar (plus a little more, if needed)
- Milk (if needed)
- 2cups flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2cups canola oil
- 2cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3cups grated carrots
- For frosting, cream together cream cheese and butter, and stir in vanilla, sugar, and milk, if needed. Add more confectioners’ sugar to taste, but don’t overwhelm the rich cream cheese-butter combination by making it too sweet.
- For cake, preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, and soda. In a separate bowl, combine oil and sugar, then add eggs, flour mixture, and carrots.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9-by-13-inch pan, and bake for 45 minutes, or until the cake springs back to the touch.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then remove cake from the pan and cool it completely before icing it with cream cheese frosting.