East-West Black-Eyed Peas
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Black-eyed peas, a New Year’s Day must, team up with miso for a bicultural celebration.
Miso, a fermented soybean paste, is available at natural foods supermarkets (in the refrigerator case) and Asian groceries.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1/2 -- dried chipotle pepper, broken in half
- 2 -- carrots, chopped
- 2 -- celery stalks, chopped
- 1 -- red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cans (15-ounce) black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons heaping dark or light miso
- 1 teaspoon salt
- -- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Heat vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add onion and chipotle pepper; sauté about 8 minutes. Add carrots, celery, bell pepper and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Place peas in a large Dutch oven. Add onion mixture to peas. Add miso, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Stir gently. Cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.