Early Morning French Toast
- Yield: 8 to 12 servings
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2cups packed brown sugar
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 to 10slices whole wheat bread
- 8 or 9 eggs
- 1 3/4 to 2cups milk
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- Heat the butter in a saucepan until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture into a 9×13-inch baking pan, tilting the pan to ensure even coverage.
- Arrange the bread slices over the prepared layer.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and salt in a bowl until blended and pour over the bread.
- Chill, covered, for 8 to 10 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes or until light brown.
- Cut into squares and invert onto serving plates.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., Pomegranates & Prickly Pears (The Junior League of Phoenix, Inc., 2005)