- Yield 32 servings
An Egyptian blend of spices to sprinkle on tofu, pasta, rice or cooked vegetables
For the best flavor, toast the almonds and pistachios in a 350F oven 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown before processing. You can also dip pita bread or Italian bread in extra-virgin olive oil and then into this spice mixture.
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup shelled toasted pistachios
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Place a dry saute pan over medium-high heat. Add sesame seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red pepper and smoked paprika and toast about 2 minutes, shaking the pan often, until very aromatic.
- Transfer to a food processor fitted with the metal blade or blender. Add the toasted nuts and salt. Blend or process until crumbly, sandy consistency is achieved. Don’t over-process or you will turn mixture to nut butter. Store in a sealed container. Makes 2 cups.