Drunken Chicken with White Beans
- Yield servings
- 6 -- chicken thighs, skin and bone removed
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 3/4 cup port wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock paste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 -- 29 ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 -- bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced, fronds included
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup walnuts, skillet toasted in 1 tablespoon butter
- -- Tapenade Dressing recipe follows
Flatten chicken thighs on baking sheet; spread with mixture of 4 T. butter, Herbs de Provence, 1/2 t. sea salt, and fresh pepper. Roll up chicken and fasten with toothpicks. Marinate chicken in mixture of port wine, honey, 1/4 c. olive oil and 1/2 t. salt for at least 30-45 minutes.
While chicken is marinating, make Tapenade Dressing (recipe follows).
Remove chicken, reserving marinade. Dredge chicken in flour, 1/2 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper. Heat 2 T. each olive oil and butter in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and brown both sides, turning once. Remove to baking dish and bake at 375 degrees about 25-30 minute or until chicken is cooked through. Add chicken stock paste and reserved marinade to drippings; simmer 5 minutes, scraping pan. Pour sauce over chicken just before serving. Heat remaining olive oil, 1 t. dry mustard, and 1/2 t. salt in skillet; add beans and fennel. Saute until fennel is just tender. Add apricots, sliced green onion, fresh basil and grape tomatoes; toss well. Remove to plate and toss with Tapenade Dressing; garnish with toasted walnuts.
Tapenade Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk one egg yolk until thick and lemon-colored, about 15 seconds. Add 1/4 c. each olive and vegetable oil, drizzling into yolk very slowly, whisking constantly until smooth. In a small food processor combine zest and juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 t. chili paste, 1/4 t. minced garlic, 2 t. anchovies, 2 t. small capers-rinsed/drained, 1 t. whole grain Dijon mustard, 1 T. fresh parsley, and 1 T. pitted nicoise olives, rinsed and drained; puree until smooth. Fold into oil/egg mixture and whisk until smooth and creamy.