Drop Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4medium carots
- 2tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1cup chicken stock (link below for homemade quick stock)
- 1/2cup whole milk
- 1cup cubed leftover roasted chicken (you can use any, link below for our recipe)
- 1/2cup frozen peas
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 batch Fluffy Drop Biscuit Dough, unbaked (link below for recipe)
- For the pot pie filling: Melt the butter in an 8-inch (20-cm) cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and cook, 1 to 2 minutes, until they are bright orange and barely tender. Sprinkle the flour over the carrots, and stir vigorously for 1 minute to cook the flour a bit.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, and then the milk. Raise heat to medium-high and let it come to a very gentle boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted chicken, peas, and parsley. Let cook until the carrots are tender, and the peas and chicken are heated through, about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC), and begin preparing the drop biscuit dough. Drop dollops of the dough over the top of the pot pie filling to mostly cover the surface. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 18 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Jennifer Perillo’s Homemade with Love (Running Press, 2013).