Dried Cherry Chili
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
This recipe, courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute, is loaded with antioxidants. Garnish with corn strips, red onion and avocado. For more information on all things cherry, go to choosecherries.com
- 2cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4ounces dried tart cherries, chopped (¾ cup)
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
- 2teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno
- 1pound ground turkey
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, chili powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 4cups chopped fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1can (16-ounce) black beans
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 cup of broth. Place cherries in small bowl. Add hot broth and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno; cook 1 minute. Do not brown. Add turkey; cook until it is no longer pink.
- Add bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, mustard and oregano. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and remaining broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, cilantro and cherry mixture. Continue cooking until thoroughly heated.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 45mg
- Sodium 660mg
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 13g