Dreamy Salad with Squash
- Yield: servings
- 1-- butternut squash, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 1/2ounces shelled broad beans
- 3tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1tablespoon tamari soy sauce or shoyu soy sauce
- 3 1/2ounces feta cheese, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4-- lettuce, such as romaine or batavia, washed and chopped
- 1-- avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-- beetroot, grated
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 3/4ounces sprouts, such as alfalfa, broccoli or mung (optional)
- -- freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to medium. Put the squash in a baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the oil and toss well. Grill for 20 minutes until tender.
Remove from the grill, sprinkle the salt over the top and season with pepper. Meanwhile, put the the broad beans in a steamer and steam, covered, for 3–4 minutes until they are cooked but still retain a slight bite.
2. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-low heat. Mix together the seeds and tamari in a small bowl. Add the seed mix to the pan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 3–5 minutes until the pan is dry and the seeds are lightly browned.
3. Put the grilled squash, steamed broad beans, toasted seeds, feta, lettuce, avocado, beetroot, balsamic vinegar, sprouts, if using, and the remaining oil in a large bowl. Toss well and serve.
SQUASH, BROAD BEAN & AVOCADO PURÉE
Put 2 tablespoons of the grilled squash, 1 tablespoon of the steamed broad beans, 2 tablespoons of the avocado and 3 tablespoons water in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds, adding extra water 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth. Serve warm.
SQUASH, BROAD BEAN & AVOCADO WITH BEETROOT & SPROUTS Put 2 tablespoons of the grilled squash, 1 tablespoon each of the steamed broad beans, avocado, beetroot and sprouts, if using, and 3 tablespoons water in a blender. Pulse for 15 seconds, adding extra water 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture forms a lumpy purée. Serve warm.
Reprinted with permission from Me, You & the Kids, Too by Renee Elliott, Duncan Baird Publishing