Dreamy Medjool Date Pudding Cake with Caramel Infusion
- Yield 8 servings
- -- Butter and cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted and chopped (about 10)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -- eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour, sifted
- Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Brush the inside of a Bundt pan thoroughly with melted butter. Liberally sprinkle cocoa over butter, then turn upside-down and tap to remove excess cocoa.
- To make the cake: In a small bowl, sprinkle baking soda over the dates. Add water and set aside 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a large metal spoon, fold in date mixture and flour until well mixed. Batter will be thin.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to stand for about 1 minute, then carefully turn onto a plate.
- To make the caramel sauce: Set a saucepan over medium heat and add sugar, cream vanilla and butter. Cook, stirring often, until sauce comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 2 more minutes.
- While cake is still warm, use a wooden skewer to make holes all over the top of the cake. Pour half the warm sauce over warm cake.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into slices and serve with remaining sauce. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Bard Valley Natural Delights.