Dr. Pepper-Marinated Steak Tostadas
- Yield: 4 servings
- Meat and marinade:
- 1pound skirt or flank steak
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle Dr. Pepper
- 1/2cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4cup thinly shredded
- green cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into
- thin strips
- 1/2cup chopped cilantro
- 2tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4teaspoons malt vinegar
- 1teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 1/2teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4teaspoons brown sugar
- 1teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2cups shredded caciotta or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2cup goat cheese crumbles
- Pour Dr. Pepper over steak. Refrigerate 4 to 12 hours.
- To prepare slaw, toss cabbage, bell pepper and cilantro together. Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and granulated sugar. Pour over cabbage mixture; toss. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry tortillas 8 to 10 seconds on each side. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt; drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Prepare grill. Remove steak from marinade. Combine 1 teaspoon salt, brown sugar and pepper; rub on meat. Grill meat 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- To assemble tostadas, preheat oven to 350F. Place tortillas on baking sheets. Sprinkle with cheeses. Slice steak into thin strips. Distribute among tortillas. Bake 5 to 6 minutes, until cheese melts. Remove from oven and top each tostada with 2 tablespoons slaw.
Recipe adapted with permission from Grady Spears and June Naylor’s, The Texas Cowboy Kitchen (Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2007).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 610
- Fat 33g
- Cholesterol 90mg
- Sodium 1190mg
- Carbohydrate 38g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 39g